Our first member's meeting and Cinco de Mayo celebration (complete with savory Chipotle feast!) was a huge success!! Thank you to everyone who was able to come out and fiesta with us. For those of you unable to attend, we put out the following important new information:
1) OPEN GYM - We are going to experiment with having open gym times. Open gym means there is no scheduled WOD and you are free to workout however you'd like. We only ask that you be smart and safe. To start, this option will be available concurrently and on a not-to-interfere basis with the M, W, F morning Striking Classes from 09:30-10:45. A coach (typically John) will be available to assist OPEN GYM athletes as required.
2) CrossFit KIDS - We are eager to begin kids classes, especially with summer almost upon us. Class will only be once a week so we are trying to determine what's the best time for the majority of parents. Please see the Poll on our Facebook page to vote for your preference.
3) REFER-A-MEMBER - We are very proud to say that we have a 100% retention rate thus far, as every single athlete who's joined is still with us! Word of mouth is where we are getting our new members and we'd like to start showing how much we truly appreciate you. If you refer a new athlete who commits to a 6 month membership, you will receive a $25 credit towards merchandise (shirts, Fitaid, bars, etc.) and if you refer a new member who joins for a year, you will receive a free month of membership!
4) PROGRAMMING - Coach John explained the "method behind his madness", finally ending the mystery of why we do so many box jumps and burpees, haha!! Not enough room to write his full explanation here, but in a nutshell those movements are fundamental to building both explosive power and endurance. John further explained that he programs so that even if you only come in on say Tuesdays only, that you should still get a balanced mix of all programming over a period of weeks.
5) SAFETY - Please strive to keep your work-out area clear of any extra equipment unless a coach has specifically recommended it. This is especially important when performing barbell work. Be sure the area around you is clear of extra plates, box jumps, wall balls, etc...being careless about this is an easy way to get yourself hurt, badly. To help deconflict WOD’ing athletes with kids wanting to play, we have created a path of sorts along the front doors so kids can manuever from the "sitting area" to the turf area without needing to go onto the matted area.
6) RESERVING - Please get into RhinoFit and Reserve your spot for all classes and please try to do this no later than 1-hour prior to class. This serves several purposes. First, it lets the coach know how many athletes (if any) are coming. Beginning in June, if 1-hour prior to a class there are no reservations, it is likely that the coach will cancel the class. Second, as we continue to grow and class sizes get bigger, it will become critical to Reserve your spot to ensure you get a space in your desired class before it fills up or give us time to potentially add another coach to accommodate the large group.
7) SIGN-IN - Please attempt to sign-in before every class. This is NOT the same thing as reserving. Only signing-in proves that you actually attended the class. This is important for all members and critical if you are on any of our punchcard style memberships.
8) TRACK YOUR WOD - You work hard! This is one of the best ways to record your progress. Use this function and/or the benchmarks to record your 8-6-4 or any other PRs.
9) LIMBO - Whilst celebrating Cinco de Mayo, we learned that while Mai is pretty limber, Coach Jason is the undisputed King of the Limbo! Ha ha!!
Hope to see you all at the ribbon-cutting ceremony on Tuesday, 16 May @ 3pm and again on Saturday, 20 May between 9 am and 3pm for the Grand Opening! Please tell/bring your friends…and register/donate at the following Eventbrite site and don't forget to bring $$ for some sweet raffles.
SKIP work...get JACKed!!!
Mai, Dave, John & Grace